St Thomas was completed in 1842 to the designs of
Edward Blore and at the suggestion of Lady Frances
Neave of Dagnams Park who felt that the church at
South Weald was too far for her staff to walk.
The construction cost, partly funded by Parliament,
partly by the Church Building Society, was £1,883.
The church, grade II listed, was largely constructed
from soft red brick in lime mortar coloured with lamp
black, later repointed in cement. As is all too often
the case, the use of hard mortar with porous
brickwork lead to extensive spalling, especially to the
With limited funds available the emphasis was placed
on overhauling or replacing cast iron rainwater goods
and flashings and on stabilising the most seriously
damaged areas of brickwork.