St Philips is a memorial to the Brethren of the Society
of the Divine Compassion. The present Church was
built in 1954 to the designs of Harold Gibbons. It
replaces an earlier building on the same site which
was destroyed by bombing during the second world
The redevelopment included an improved entrance,
with new toilets and lobby space, located on a
restricted site at the north end of the existing church.
The adjoining church hall has been extended and
improved and the area between the two structures
has been enclosed to provide a new court area
accessible to both church and hall.
The church site has a significant slope and the redevelopment
provided the opportunity to improve access to both buildings.