All Saints served as the parish church of Chingford until 1844. The church has Norman
origins, although the present building dates from the late 13th century. The tower was
added in the 14th century and the porch, paid for by the pawning of the church plate, in 1547.
The building had been suffering from structural movement almost from the moment of
its construction, sections of stonework were severely eroded and there was evidence
of extensive dampness.
The aim of the works and of the accompanying maintenance plan has been to remove or
ameliorate factors contributing to decay of the fabric, to replace or restore those
elements of the fabric which have deteriorated beyond repair and to provide a firm
foundation for the future care of the church.