Chingford grew rapidly with the coming of the
railway in the mid nineteenth century and the existing
parish church of All Saints became inadequate to
accommodate the larger congregation.
Built in 1844 as a replacement, the church of St Peter
and St Paul is listed grade II*. The church is faced
with a chequer-board pattern of white bricks,
knapped flint panels and stone dressings.
Supported by a repair grant from the Heritage Lottery
Fund, extensive replacement and repair of the
masonry to the spire, which was in a dangerous
condition, has been completed.
Slate and asphalt roof coverings have been renewed,
stonework at high level repaired or replaced, the stone
parapets overhauled and repairs and improvements to rainwater drainage undertaken.