Dating back to the middle of the 12th century Ilford Hospital Chapel was founded
by Adeliza Abbess of Barking in the reign of King Steven. The chapel was largely
rebuilt in 1719 but some of the original building survives including parts of
the north and west walls.
RWA were appointed by the Friends of the chapel in 2002 at which time the building
was listed grade II. On our recommendation an application was made for upgrading
to II*. The reports were accepted and the chapel's listing has been updated.
Used on a weekly basis the building required essential repairs to arrest
deterioration of the fabric and to deal with extensive dampness. These works
have now been carried out using a repair grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.